Dipartimento di Automatica e Informatica
Niccolo' Cascarano graduated summa cum laude as Bachelor Degree from Politecnico di Torino in Computer Engineering in September 2005.
In November 2007, he graduated summa cum laude as Master of Science from Politecnico di Torino in Computer Network Engineering with thesis titled "Application layer traffic classification".
Since January 2008, he has been with the Departement of Control and Computer Engineering of Politecnico di Torino as a PhD student.
- Service based classification: a new approach for classifying network traffic basing on the identification of end nodes
- GT discovery: developement of a software toolset for associating accurate ground truth information with Internet traffic trace; in collaboration with DEA at University of Brescia
- Evaluation of the computational complexity of traffic classifiers
- Light traffic classification algorithms
- CUDA - iNFAnt: using GPU for implementing high performance NFA software algorithms
- M. Baldi, N. Cascarano, F. Risso, Service-based Traffic Classification, (draft)
- N. Cascarano, F. Risso, L. Ciminiera, Optimizing Deep Packet Inspection for High-Speed Traffic Analysis, Journal of the Network and Systems Management, (to appear)
- N. Cascarano, P. Rolando, F Risso, R. Sisto, iNFAnt: NFA Pattern Matching on GPGPU Devices, SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, Vol. 40, No. 5, October 2010
- N. Cascarano, F. Risso, A. Este, L. Salgarelli, A. Finamore, M. Mellia, Comparing P2PTV traffic classifiers, IEEE ICC 2010 - Communication QoS, Reliability and Modeling Symposium, May 2010.
- N. Cascarano, L. Ciminiera, F. Risso, Improving Cost and Accuracy of DPI Traffic Classifiers, 25th ACM Symposium On Applied Computing (SAC 2010), Sierre, Switzerland, March 2010.
- F. Risso, N. Cascarano, Low-Cost DPI Traffic Classifiers, on book RECIPE. Robust and Efficient Traffic Classification in IP Networks, A. Pescapè, C. Sansone, ed. Fridericiana Editrice Universitaria.
- F. Gringoli, L. Salgarelli, M. Dusi, N. Cascarano, F. Risso, K.C. Claffy, GT: picking up the truth from the ground for Internet traffic, Computer Communication Review, October 2009, vol. 39; p. 13-18, ISSN: 0146-4833
- N. Cascarano, A. Este, F. Gringoli, F. Risso, L. Salgarelli,
An Experimental Evaluation of the Computational Cost of a DPI Traffic Classifier,
November 2009 (to appear)
- M. Baldi, F. Risso, N. Cascarano, A. Baldini, Service-Based Traffic Classification: Principles and Validation, IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, Princeton, NJ (USA), March 2009
Niccolo' is currently involved in the development of the NetBee library: a set of C++ modules for easing the development of packet processing applications, which features the NetPDL protocol description language and the NetVM virtual network processor.
He is also involved in the development of the l7-netdplclassifier, a network traffic classification tool based on NetBee library that also implements the Service-based traffic classification algorithm and many tools for traffic manipulation and evaluation.
He contributed to the developement of GT software toolset for associating accurate ground truth information with Internet traffic trace.
He contributed to the development of iNFAnt a framework for executing high speed regular expression matching algorithm over GPU card supporting CUDA technology.