Since the courses Computer Network Technologies and Services and Tecnologie e Servizi di Rete have the same content, the outline is provided here for both.
Course outline and material:
Routing in IP networks
- Forwarding and routing overview - color, black&white
- Dynamic routing algorithms
- Internet routing architecture - color, black&white
- Routing protocols in the Internet - color, black&white
- Multicast forwarding and routing - color, black&white
- Ethernet forwarding
- Bridging and filtering database
- The spanning tree protocol
- Design principles
Audio and video transmission on packet networks
- Quality of Service (QoS) issues and solutions - color, black&white
- Voice-over-IP (VoIP): basic concepts and architecture
- The H.323 standard
- The SIP standard
- SIP Captures
- SIP Exercises
Internet Protocol version 6
- Overview - color, black&white
- Header format
- ICMPv6 and multicast
- Neighbor discovery
- Migration from and coexistence with IPv4
- IPv6 Exercises
- Classroom address assignment exercise (CNTS, TSR)
- Classroom routing table exercise (CNTS, TSR)
- IPv6 packet traces
- Original idea and basic principles
- Multi-protocol Lambda Switching
- Generalized MPLS (GMPLS)
Virtual Private Networks (VPN): protocols and architectures for both customer-provisioned and provider-provisioned solutions
- Virtual Private Networks
- Basic concepts of cryptography (color, black&white)
- Virtual Private Networks based on Secure Socket Layer (color, black&white)
- Basic concepts on the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) (color, black&white)
- Exercises on Virtual Private Networks
Technologies for data communication in wide-area-networks: ATM, Frame Relay, SONet/SDH.
- The “optical hype”: an example
- Basic concepts of optical communication (color, black&white)
- Optical networks
- Interconnection of IP routers
Material for Lab Experiences:
This section contains the assignments for all the three laboratories and some introductory material regarding how to use theDyn@ng network simulator. Dyn@ng network simulator must be only used by students who want to do or finish the lab from home. When you are at LADISPE, we advise you to use GNS3. TSR students must attend lab sessions in two separate groups, as specified in the course calendar, based on the initial of their last name: A to K and L to Z.
- Lab material
- Lab Assignments
Lecture notes shared by students:
The lecture notes and other material provided in this section was compiled by students that nicely offered to share it with other students having taken the same or future editions of the course. The material is available to the course website because it might be helpful. However, it is by no means to be considered as a reference in terms of set of topics addressed in the course (and required to pass the exam), level of detail provided (and required to pass the exam), accuracy of information contained.
Lorenzo David, Luca Ghio, “Computer network technologies and services: lecture notes”, in English and in Italiano
Andrea Marcelli, Notes and selected literature on a selection of topics addressed during the course: MPLS, MPLS VPN, QoS, Optical Networks, IPV6. [88MB zip archive]
Andrea Marcelli, “Access VPN deployment examples”.
Raffele Sommese, “VPN con IPsec e OpenVPN”, in Italiano.
Calendar for CNTS:
The lecture schedule is available in
ical format (it can be used by calendar applications to automatically synchronize to the on-line calendar).
Calendario di TSR:
Il calendario di lezioni, laboratori, ed esami è disponibile in formato
ical (che può essere usato da applicazioni per sincronizzarsi automaticamente con il calendario on-line).